Cashier jobs in Canada for foreigners (NOC 85100) | Urgent Hiring 2023
Canada’s supermarket and retail sector employs over 2.2 million workers, with cashiers and customer service representatives making up a large portion of jobs. These roles present opportunities for foreign nationals looking for entry-level work in Canada. The work is often flexible with options for both full-time and part-time employment.
As a cashier or checkout clerk in Canada, the job involves operating cash registers, handling payments, and interacting with customers. Workers scan items, enter prices manually, accept payments in cash or credit/debit cards, issue receipts, refunds or change to customers. Strong skills in customer service and basic math are required. While many stores prefer candidates with a high school diploma, on-the-job training is commonly provided. Foreign language abilities and cultural awareness of diverse groups may be assets for some positions.
Large supermarket chains like Loblaws, Walmart, and Real Canadian Superstore frequently hire foreign workers for cashier and customer service roles, especially in locations with labour shortages. These companies often use temporary foreign worker programs like the Temporary Foreign Worker Program to staff their operations. Job opportunities may depend on the local job market, but are found in many provinces. Compensation varies but typically starts around $14 to $16 per hour for entry-level roles.
Working as a cashier or checkout clerk provides valuable Canadian work experience for foreign nationals. Interacting with customers and staff provides an opportunity to learn interpersonal skills useful for many jobs. The work can also be a stepping stone to other retail careers with opportunities for promotion to roles like front-end supervisor or customer service representative. For students, part-time work as a cashier may accommodate school schedules. Overall, thousands of foreigners start their Canadian work experience in checkout jobs, which remain an accessible entry point into the workforce.
Cashier jobs in Red Deer, AB – Job details
|Company||Sunterra Quality Food Markets Inc.|
|Job Location||Red Deer, AB|
|Job type||Permanent employment|
|Salary||$15.00 hourly 30 to 40 hours per week|
|Shift||Day, Evening, Weekend, Shift, Morning|
|Benefits||Health benefits, Long term benefits, Other benefits|
|Start date||Starts as soon as possible|
Apply Also: Latest Jobs in Canada for Foreigners | 1000+ Vacancies 2023
- No degree, certificate or diploma
Experience an asset
- Willing to relocate
- Supermarket/grocery store
- Retail business
- Operate cash register
- Process money, cheques and credit/debit card payments
- Scan items
- Tabulate total payment for goods or services required
- Receive payment for goods or services
- Calculate daily/shift payments received and reconcile with total sales
- Stock shelves and clean counter area
- Greet customers
- Accept reservations or take-out orders
- Wrap or place merchandise in bags
- Weigh produce and bulk foods
- Provide customer service
- Monitor all entrances and exits, request proof of payment when necessary
- Participate in promotional activities
Experience and specialization
Computer and technology knowledge
- Electronic cash register
- Interac machine
- Price scanner
Security and safety
- Own transportation
Work conditions and physical capabilities
- Fast-paced environment
- Work under pressure
- Physically demanding
- Attention to detail
- Standing for extended periods
- Disability benefits
- Health care plan
Long term benefits
- Life insurance
- Learning/training paid by employer
- Team building opportunities
- Parking available
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Here is what you must include in your application:
- Cover letter
- References attesting experience
- Letter of recommendation
Please answer the following questions when applying:
- Are you available for shift or on-call work?
- Are you available for the advertised start date?
- Are you currently a student?
- Are you currently legally able to work in Canada?
- Are you willing to relocate for this position?
- Do you have previous experience in this field of employment?